I am not going to stop writing about prayer journaling any time soon. Why? Because it is so wonderful! Because it has made my life so much better and I believe that it can transform your life, too. It’s not a new idea, yet I don’t come across with articles or books about it very often. 99% of what I share with you about it on this blog, comes from my own experiences, the remaining 1% is based on my research about the health benefits and healing potential of creative writing.
The practice of communicating through story telling is as old as mankind. Before the modern conveniences of readily available paper, notebooks, not to mention computers, iPads and other devices we use for writing today, people were fully dependent on memorizing and re-telling stories. This is how all the wonderful books of the Bible, especially in the Old Testament times were handed from one generation to the next as well.
We are wired for stories. Our brain is hardwired for narrative. It’s just part of how we are put together. A well created story has the power to captivate us. As we read or listen, our mind searches for deeper meaning behind the words. We literally read between the lines. Our mind is able to recognize patterns in a story, identify with different characters and so many other things. Would you like to learn more about how our brain is wired for stories? Researcher and author, Kendall Haven will tell you more in this video:
Over the next couple of weeks, I would like to give you five reasons why you should start prayer journaling. Here is number one.
1. Writing is one of the most accessible self-care practices and so is prayer journaling
Self-care has been at the forefront of our attention for a quite a while now. Even before COVID19 has started to stress us out completely. We were stressed before, and now we are super stressed and this is why it’s so important that we find healthy ways to cope with stress, and figure out how we can put our lives back together.
Journaling is a self-care practice that comes highly recommended by many healthcare professionals for many reasons, and one of them is the fact that it is available and accessible to anyone. Writing can be done anytime and anywhere. It’s practically free, although, if you want to take the whole experience to the next level, you can invest into a quality notebook and pen, but it’s entirely up to you. Journaling is a budget friendly alternative to retail therapy and a more productive alternative to binge watching Netflix . If your idea of relaxation and self-care is a spa experience, you can find creative ways to give your journaling time a home spa feel, for example you can lit a candle, make a cup of tea or a glass of fresh fruit smoothie and put on some instrumental music. You can write curling up on the sofa, or you can sit outside and be inspired by nature. You can write first time in the morning, before bed or anytime in between. Also, there is not time limit on creative writing. You can journal for 5 minutes every day, or you can spend hours with your head in your notebook over the weekend. Journaling is flexible, free, accessible, it helps you organize your thoughts, process emotions, calm anxiety, it is so good for you!
Now, multiply this with the amazing power of prayer and you will probably start to understand what’s so amazing about prayer journaling.
If journaling on its own is powerful and restoring, what do you think journaling in the presence and power of God can do for you?
Processing our emotions through the Word of God, opening up our hearts to stories saturated with the presence and life of God is taking journaling to the next level. When you journal your prayers, you harness the power of creative writing and story telling and at the same time you connect with God himself through his Word and prayer. Prayer journaling really is an incredibly powerful and transformative experience and one of the most accessible and effective self-care practices you can ever try.
I hope that you are fully inspired now to start journaling your prayers. I will continue to share more things I think everybody should know about prayer journaling. Later on I would like to give you a step by step guide on how to actually get started with it.
Until then, remember how loved you are!
- Creative writing is increasingly becoming a go-to method for trauma recovery. It’s possible to access healing and restoration from traumatic experiences and grief, through prayer journaling.
- Through creative writing and prayer journaling you can nurture your curiosity and get into momentum when you feel stuck.
- Prayer journaling encourages creativity.
- Creative writing can be done socially as well. Writing with a community of people and discussing our mental and emotional health in a safe, social setting promotes healing on a deeper level.